Installation of TransTools for Word
To install TransTools for Word, download the automatic installer or the manual installation zip package.
There are two ways to install the program:
- Automatically: run TransTools_setup.exe and follow the installer instructions.
After you complete the installation process:
Open Microsoft Word. Depending on your version of Word, you should see the following:
If you don't see it:
- Make sure that you complete installation properly.
- You may also need to close applications which rely on Microsoft Word (e.g. Outlook) and restart Microsoft Word;
- If Adobe Acrobat is installed on your computer, TransTools menu in Microsoft Word 2003 or earlier will not be visible (this is a known bug in Adobe Acrobat), so you will need to right-click Word toolbars and select 'TransTools' from the dropdown menu. This will give you access to all TransTools commands;
- If none of the above fixes the problem, refer to Post-Installation Instructions and Troubleshooting section or drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once you see TransTools controls, try to run any command, for instance To-Do. If you see an error message, your Macro Security settings are blocking the macros contained in the TransTools add-in. To change your Macro Security settings:
Word 2003 or earlier: go to Tools -> Macro -> Security... and click Trusted Publishers tab. At the bottom of the dialogue you will see a checkbox named 'Trust all installed add-ins and templates' . Enable/check this checkbox and click . Restart Microsoft Word. This should allow you to run TransTools commands.
Word 2007 or later: open Word Options dialogue by clicking the large Microsoft Office icon in the top left corner (Word 2007) or File tab (Word 2010+) and then clicking button or Options menu at the bottom.
Select [Trust Center] from the list on the left and then click Trust Center Settings... to the right;
Select 'Add-ins' from the list on the left and make sure that 'Require Application Add-ins to be signed by Trusted Publisher' and 'Disable all Application Add-ins (may impair functionality' are NOT checked.
If TransTools Installer fails showing a critical error, TransTools Installer cannot install TransTools on your system. Possible reasons are:
- You are using the Windows Store version of Microsoft Office, also known as ‘Centennial version’ (usually this is Office 365, Office 2016 or Office 2019). This version of Microsoft Office cannot be detected by the installer because it uses undocumented add-in locations and does not store its version information in Windows Registry. To install TransTools in this case, you need to use the Manual Installation package instead. Read the Manual Installation Notes below carefully, paying particular attention to the instructions concerning the Windows Store version of MS Office (in dark red color).
- Microsoft Office is not installed or you are using an incorrect version of Microsoft Office. Please use the Manual Installation package instead.