The Configure command is used to modify configuration of TransTools for Word and TransTools for Excel.
Use this command to set up the behaviour of Language Check, Localisation and Insert Symbol / Quotes commands.
The configuration dialogue is divided into four main tabs: Language Check & Localisation, Insert Symbol, Warnings & notifications and Configuration File.
Language Check & Localisation tab
This tab is used to configure the settings of language pairs for Language Check and Localisation commands (TransTools for Word) and Language Check (TransTools for Excel).
A language pair combines all information on a specific pair of languages that you work with. It works both ways, i.e. a language pair called 'German <-> English' would be used by those who translate either from German to English, or from English to German.
Language pair controls.
The controls at the top of the dialogue are used to select, add or delete a language pair:
button selects the previous language pair.
button selects the next language pair.
button creates a new language pair.
button deletes the current language pair. Note that you cannot delete a language pair if it is the only language pair available.
Language pair information.
To set up a language pair, you must enter the following information for both languages:
- select the language from the list. If you cannot find the desired language in the list, select "Custom..." and enter the name of the language. This is required
Once you have selected the language, check whether the suggested Alphabet
is okay or enter the new alphabet if a custom language was created. Make sure that both UPPER and lower case letters are included.
E.g. for English you would type: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.
- Alphabet field is optional and is required only if you want to use the Language Check command for the corresponding language pair.
- Do not forget to enter UPPER CASE letters as well as lower case letters;
- In order to use Language Check command, languages in the language pair must have entirely different alphabets, e.g. Western, Cyrillic, Greek, etc. Far Eastern and Arabic languages are not supported. For compatibility requirements, refer to Check Translation page.
Configuration of this section is optional
and is required only if you want to use the Localisation
commands for the corresponding language pair.
In this section, you will be able to configure various parameters for localising decimals or currency between the languages in the language pair.
- Parameter - there are eight parameters that you can configure to enable localisation. They may be roughly split into 2 groups:
- Language # as Source - Decimal / Thousand separator(s): one or several characters (typed one after another) that can separate the decimal part or thousands in decimals / currency values. Language 1 applies to localisation in direction "Language 1 -> Language 2', and Language 2 - to localisation in direction "Language 2 -> Language 1'.
- Language # as Target - Decimal / Thousand separator: a character used to separate the decimal part or thousands in decimals / currency values. This separator will be inserted in place of the original separator in the translation.
Parameters are optional. You should configure at least one parameter from each group in order to use localisation functions.
E.g., to enable localisation of decimals from Language 1 to Language 2, specify both Language 1 as Source - Decimal separator(s) and Language 2 as Target - Decimal separator.
Note that you must configure the source separator(s) for one language and target separator for the other.
- Value - the actual value of the selected parameter. Usually this is either comma (,), point (.) or non-breaking space.
Insert Symbol tab
This tab contains settings for Insert Symbol / Quotes command.
: type all printing symbols that should be available from Insert Symbol / Quotes
command. The symbols will be presented at the top of Insert Symbol / Quotes
dialogue in the left to right, top to bottom order.
Available quotation mark styles
: select quotation mark styles depending on your working languages. These quotation marks will be available in Insert Symbol / Quotes
dialogue for insertion at the caret position or around selected text.
The default values are “curly double quotes”
, ‘curly single quotes’
and «double angle quotes»
Available non-printing and confusing characters
: select non-printing and confusing symbols which you use in your work. These symbols are difficult to insert using the controls in the Frequently Used Symbols section of Insert Symbol / Quotes
dialogue, therefore they are presented in graphical form at the bottom of Insert Symbol / Quotes
dialogue. Move the mouse over individual toggle buttons for a description.
The default symbols include non-breaking space
, line break
, page break
and manual hyphen
Warnings & notifications tab
This tab gives you control over various optional warnings and notifications which are displayed by TransTools.
Check Translation command
: uncheck this option if you don't want to see a warning before running Check Translation command in documents with Track Changes mode activated.
Configuration File tab
Use this tab to change the location of the configuration file used to store the settings of TransTools for Word and TransTools for Excel. You will need it in the following cases:
To change the location of the configuration file, click TransTools.cfg file, it will be created when you press . If the folder already contains TransTools.cfg file, you will be prompted to Save your current configuration to this file or Load configuration from this file.
and select the appropriate folder. If the folder does not contain