TransTools for Microsoft Word
TransTools for Word is a special add-in for Microsoft Word. It brings you a collection of useful commands which will make you more productive and will allow you to get through routine operations much faster.
All commands are fully undoable through Microsoft Word's Undo command.
- Formatting commands for formatting before and after translation:
- Document Cleaner: format documents produced by OCR software (e.g. Nuance OmniPage, ABBYY FineReader, etc) to make them easier to translate and reduce tags in CAT software.
- Unbreaker: find and remove incorrect paragraph and line breaks, preventing segmentation issues in CAT software.
- Find & Replace Excessive Spaces: replace excessive spaces with a single space or another character of your choice to facilitate translation in CAT software and make the document look more professional.
- Quality Assurance commands for checking documents after translation:
- Quotation Magic: check the document for typographically correct quotation marks, apostrophes and similar symbols.
- Non-breaking Space Checker: replace regular spaces with non-breaking spaces in several common scenarios (as in “5 m3” to prevent wrapping to a new line and thus avoid confusion).
- Language Check: find overlooked text in the source document's language.
- Other useful commands.
- CAT Software commands:
- Hide / Unhide Text: hide specific portions of documents before importing them into CAT tools (for translating parts of a document).
- Other useful commands: manually clean parts of a document, locate uncleaned text, mark text with untranslateable styles, etc.
- Prepare dual-language documents: turn source documents into side-by-side dual-language documents that can be translated manually or imported into your CAT tool of choice.
- Localise numbers: quickly format numbers (currency and decimals) to adapt their format to that of the target language.
- Miscellaneous tools: remember and go back to a section in the document, insert pre-defined symbols, easily save and restore visual settings of Microsoft Word for comfortable work, convert many Word documents to another format at once, etc.
- Make a number of replacements at once: create replacement lists and process the document using them. Excellent for pre-translating common documents such as automatically generated reports, etc.
How does it work?
Once installed, TransTools for Word adds new items to Microsoft Word menus:
Word 2003 or earlier: TransTools menu item and TransTools toolbar at the top of the application window as shown below.
Word 2007 or later: TransTools tab as shown below.
You can run any command by choosing it from TransTools menu / toolbars as shown above. In Microsoft Word 2003 or earlier you can also associate any command with a key combination to save time. In Microsoft Word 2007 or later you can right-click any command in TransTools tab and choose 'Add to Quick Access Toolbar' to make it easily accessible.
Click any command in the screenshots above to get more information.
Suggestions for improving TransTools
I would appreciate your wisdom on how to improve the existing features and your suggestions for new functionality. Your feedback will facilitate the job of translators around the globe. Improve TransTools here.