Installing TransTools for Visio
To install TransTools for Visio, download the automatic installer or the manual installation zip package.
There are two ways to install the program (please click the links below for detailed installation guidelines):
- Automatically: run TransTools_Installer.exe (it is also included into the manual installation zip package), and follow the installer instructions. Note that by default the file will be installed for the current Windows user only, unless you change the installation directory.
- Manually: place TransTools for Visio.vsd from the manual installation package into a folder of your choice.
To use TransTools for Visio, follow this procedure:
- Open TransTools for Visio.vsd (by default, this file is located under 'My Documents\TransTools' folder). If you already have Microsoft Visio running, you can do this by double-clicking this file in Windows Explorer or opening it with File -> Open. This will add 'TransTools' menu at the top of the application window.
- If you can't see TransTools menu, your Macro Security settings block the macros contained in the file. To unblock macros, it is recommended to set Macro Security level to Medium. To change Macro Security settings:
In Visio 2007 or earlier: Go to Tools -> Macro -> Security... and select Medium, and restart Visio before opening TransTools for Visio again. Once you do this, Visio will ask you whether you want to enable macros whenever you open a file containing macros – click 'Enable macros' button.
Security level configuration:
Warning when opening files containing macros:
Visio 2010 or later: open Visio Options dialogue by clicking the File tab (Word 2010+) and then clicking [Options] menu at the bottom.
Select [Trust Center] from the list on the left and then click Trust Center Settings... to the right.
Select 'Add-ins' from the list on the left and make sure that 'Require Application Add-ins to be signed by Trusted Publisher' and 'Disable all Application Add-ins (may impair functionality' are NOT checked:
Select Macro Settings' from the list on the left and make sure that 'Disable all macros with notification' (or at least 'Enable all macros (not recommended)') is checked:
Once you do this, Visio will ask you whether you want to enable macros whenever you open a file containing macros – click the yellow ‘Enable macros’ button.
- Open Visio files you would like to process (unless they are already open). You should do it from the same application window – double-click files in Windows Explorer or open with File -> Open... (note - do not start another session of Microsoft Visio by selecting it from Windows Start menu or double-clicking its Desktop icon).
- Switch to TransTools for Visio.vsd by selecting it from Window menu.
- Select 'Extract Translatable Text' or 'Translate Using Translation Table' from TransTools menu (Visio 2007 or older versions) or TransTools group under the Add-Ins tab (Visio 2010 and newer versions).