TransTools+ is a set of plug-ins for Microsoft Office which contain useful tools for translator productivity. It provides professional translators with additional tools not available as part of the original version of TransTools.
As of version 1.2, TransTools+ includes a Microsoft Word plug-in, and plug-ins for Excel, PowerPoint and Visio are planned in future releases.
Note: TransTools+ and TransTools are different products and contain different functionality, although some tools within them have similar names. TransTools+ does not supersede / replace TransTools. At this time, it has a limited set of tools (see the full list here) compared to TransTools. However, it is actively developed and most tools currently available in TransTools will be transferred into TransTools+.
CAT software commands
- Hide / Unhide Text (Microsoft Word): hide non-translatable text from your CAT tool for selective translation of document contents or in order to convert pieces of non-translatable / placeholder text into tags/placeables.
Quality Assurance, DTP
- Multiple Find & Replace (Microsoft Word): a special tool that finds and replaces text based on search expression lists. With this multi-purpose tool, you can check your documents for common mistakes and automatically fix them, change number and date formats, find punctuation issues, or even change formatting of text. For example, if you build a search expression list on the basis of your customer's style guide, you can find all potential clashes with the style guide in a single operation, and then fix these issues manually or automatically. Unlike Find & Replace command built into Microsoft Word, Multiple Find & Replace tool can search the document for many words / phrases, stores search expressions in easily accessible lists, and can present a list of all matches before replacement is made. It is a must for every translator working with Word documents.
- Highlighting Tool (Microsoft Word): a special tool that allows you to apply color highlighting to text that matches user-defined search expressions, to clear color highlighting, or to find color highlighting (in order to move from one highlighted fragment to the other). This versatile tool can be used for quality assurance (in order to find potential problems), DTP / formatting, communication between document authors, to hide non-translatable text, etc.
- Document Processing Tool (Microsoft Word): this tool allows you to process many documents simultaneously using most of TransTools+ functionality.
Using this powerful tool, you can save a lot of time preparing documents for translation in a CAT tool or performing in-context review after translation, by executing one or several different commands on each document, e.g.:
- hide specific text from your CAT tool or convert it to tags using Hide/Unhide Text tool
- identify potential mistakes in documents by color-highlighting or formatting the text that matches search expressions, including regular expressions (using Multiple Find & Replace tool or Apply Highlighting command)
- perform final formatting of documents using Multiple Find & Replace tool
- automatically correct certain text by replacing the text that matches search expressions, including regular expressions (using Multiple Find & Replace tool)
- clear color highlighting in documents with Clear Highlighting command to make sure that no review traces remain in the documents when they are being submitted to the customer
- create special in-context previews for translators by highlighting or formatting special words and phrases that must be translated according to style guides, customer guidelines, etc. (using Multiple Find & Replace tool or Apply Highlighting command)
- Find Selection (Microsoft Word) (FREE): this command makes it easy to find the current editing location / selection in a Microsoft Word document. It takes you to the current selection within the active document and, if the selection is too small to notice, also flashes the selection.
How does it work?
Once installed, TransTools+ adds new items to Microsoft Word menus:
Word 2007 and newer versions: TransTools+ tab as shown below:
Word 2003 and older versions: TransTools+ menu item and TransTools+ toolbar at the top of the application window as shown below:
Tools for other Microsoft Office products (Excel, PowerPoint, Visio) will be added in the near future.