Process multiple documents with any TransTools+ command using Document Processing Tool
Around half a year ago, I published the first version of TransTools+, a new suite of tools for professional translators, editors, copyeditors and DTP specialists. This product helps translation industry professionals as well as writers improve their quality and productivity. For a list of TransTools+ features and examples of its use cases, download TransTools+ brochure.
Today, I am happy to announce two new TransTools+ features which will boost your productivity even further:
- Document Processing Tool, a tool that makes it very easy to perform various actions on multiple Word documents (DOCX, DOC, RTF format), using one or several different TransTools+ commands one after the other
- In-context preview in Multiple Find & Replace tool
Introducing Document Processing Tool
Document Processing Tool addresses two common scenarios:
- You need to process several Word documents using the same tool/command. For example, you need to highlight potential mistakes in all translated documents before sending them to an editor, or perform multiple replacements in several documents.
- You want to use several different tools or the same tool with different settings on one or several Word documents. For example, you want to highlight general terms in yellow and specialized computer terms in green.
Highlighting terms in two different colors using two Apply Highlighting operations
You can use the following commands with Document Processing Tool:
- Multiple Find & Replace: replace text that matches various words/phrases or regular expressions
- Multiple Find & Replace: apply special formatting to the text that matches various words/phrases or regular expressions
- Hide/Unhide Text tool: hide specific text from your CAT tool, convert to tags colored text or text matching pre-defined search expressions, or unhide hidden text
- Apply Highlighting command: apply color highlighting to text that matches various words/phrases or regular expressions
- Clear Highlighting command: clear color highlighting of specific color or all colors
Document Processing Tool is very easy to use:
- Check “Process several documents” option and add several documents (DOCX, DOC and RTF format) to the list, or check “Process current (active) document” to process only the current document.
- Click Add step... button to add a processing step and select the operation you want to execute. The processing steps are executed in the order you specify, and you can re-order them later.
- Configure the processing step as you normally do when you use this tool separately. For example, for Apply Highlighting operation, choose the list of search expressions and select the highlight color that needs to be applied. If you need help configuring a processing step, consult the online documentation of the respective tool.
- If you want to process specific parts of each document, e.g. skip textboxes or comments, change Additional Processing Options.
- Click Start... button to process the document(s). The processing results will be displayed at the end of the operation.
Here are some of the use cases for Document Processing Tool:
- Perform multiple replacements, apply color highlighting, hide non-translatable text or unhide text in multiple documents.
- Highlight words and phrases defined in different lists using different colors.
- Apply several types of formatting to words/phrases defined in different lists.
I invite you to take a close look at the new Document Processing Tool. For more information, go here. You can evaluate TransTools+ without any limitations for 30 days.
In-context preview of matches in Multiple Find & Replace tool
Another new feature which you will definitely appreciate is the ability to see the context around the matches in Multiple Find & Replace tool. This makes it a lot easier for you to decide whether to change a particular occurrence in accordance with its context:
To use this feature, instead of using Find/Replace or Replace All buttons, click Find All button. This will display a list of matches of all search expressions under Search Results tab, including the context of each match. You can uncheck the occurrences that you do not want to replace, preview how the text will be replaced by hovering the mouse over the eye icon, click any occurrence to navigate to its location inside the document, double-click a match to change the replacement text, click Replace Selected button to replace and format the selected occurrences, or click Format Selected button to change the formatting without replacing the text itself.
Click here for more information about Multiple Find & Replace tool. Download the recent version and evaluate it without any limitations for 30 days.
What’s coming in future releases?
TransTools+ is a young product with lots of features planned for the coming months. One of the next versions will include a tool that will help you fix various punctuation and spacing issues in Word documents. Other powerful features are in store so watch future issues of TransTools newsletter closely. Click here to subscribe to the newsletter.
Evaluating and buying TransTools+
TransTools+ does not require TransTools suite to be installed and can be installed side by side with it.
You can use any tool that is part of TransTools+ without limitations for 30 days. To continue using it after that, you will need to buy a license at a very affordable price.
If you already hold a license for TransTools Professional Edition, you can obtain a special coupon code which you can apply in order to receive a 30% discount for a full TransTools+ license. If you did not receive this coupon code previously and it does not arrive in your mailbox within the next few days, let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will re-send it to your alternative email address.
TransTools+ is not distributed under the annual subscription model which has become so common these days. Your license will be valid for the current major version of TransTools+, and new major versions will be released approximately every 2 years. All updates within the current major version will be free of charge, and you will also get technical support. You may activate TransTools+ licenses on up to 3 computers simultaneously provided that these computers belong to the same individual or employee.
Download TransTools+ today and enjoy this software which will make you even more productive!
May 29, 2019