New features in TransTools 3.10
TransTools v.3.10 introduces several new features and improvements.
TransTools for AutoCAD – new features
Automatic preparation of translation tables for your CAT tool
If you use a CAT tool to work with Microsoft Word translation tables generated by TransTools for AutoCAD, the new version can prepare the translation table for your CAT tool automatically.
Depending on your CAT tool, TransTools uses either tw4winExternal and tw4winInternal styles (SDL Trados Studio, memoQ, Wordfast) or hidden formatting (Memsource Cloud, Déjà Vu X3, etc.) to format non-translatable text and AutoCAD formatting codes. When you import the generated table into your CAT tool, non-translatable text will not be imported, and AutoCAD formatting codes will be converted into tags.
Replacement of text characters not supported in every font
AutoCAD drawings often use fonts that do not include all common Unicode symbols. For example, a common AutoCAD font called “romans” does not include such symbols as – (EN-dash), № (Numero sign) as well as some quotation mark symbols, among others. When these symbols appear in the translation, they are shown in AutoCAD as “?”. Of course, one inconvenient workaround is to translate the text using similar-looking symbols like - (hyphen-minus or regular dash) and N° (N + degree sign). However, the new version of TransTools for AutoCAD contains a better solution: it allows you to define a list of replacements that are performed within the translation table before it is merged back into the drawing. For example, you can specify that – (EN-dash) should be replaced with - (hyphen-minus or regular dash).
Besides the above improvements, the new version of TransTools for AutoCAD includes the following features:
- New option that automatically saves generated translation tables in the same folder and under the same filename as the original AutoCAD drawing.
- Source text is automatically copied to the translation column in generated translation tables (Microsoft Word format only).
- After translations are merged into the drawing, you can view the drawing text which was not found in the translation table, which can help you check whether everything was translated.
To use the updated version of TransTools for AutoCAD, simply download and install the latest version.
Improvements and bug fixes in TransTools for Word
TransTools for Word also includes several improvements, mostly in Unbreaker. For a detailed list, go to this page.
A word on existing tools
Using Quotation Magic to correct quotation marks and apostrophes
Every language uses specific quotation marks to denote direct speech, quotes, proper nouns and/or titles. Some languages also use apostrophes and similar-looking symbols to indicate omission of a letter, glottal stop, possessive case, feet / inches, etc. To ensure that the text is readable, appealing and meets the requirements of the language and your client, it must be written with correct symbols for quotation marks, apostrophes and similar symbols.
For example, a regular apostrophe must be written as ’, not as '. Quotation marks are written as “text” in American English, but « text » in French. 6 feet 2 inches must be written as 6′2″ (using special prime and double prime symbols), and not as 6’2”.
However, usage of correct quotation marks and apostrophes in written documents is difficult for several reasons. First, these symbols are not easy to type and therefore many people simply use straight single and double quotation marks and apostrophes (incorrect) instead of curly/directional symbols (correct). The so-called “smart quotes” feature in most document authoring and text editing applications helps, but it doesn't always work correctly or is not always activated. Second, these symbols are easy to confuse with each other because they may look very similar in some fonts.
Quotation Magic helps you check a Word document and make sure that all the quotation marks, apostrophes and similar symbols like prime and double prime are written correctly. If it finds any issues, you can quickly correct them individually or all at once.
Quotation Magic can help you in a number of situations:
- Correct a document which contains straight quotation marks instead of directional / curly quotation marks, straight apostrophes instead of curly apostrophes, quotation marks instead of prime and double prime symbols.
- Correct a document which contains incorrect quotation marks (e.g., copied from the source text into the translation without adaptation).
- Find missing opening / closing quotation marks or redundant quotation marks.
- Correct spacing around quotation marks (e.g., in French).
- Correct quotation marks in source documents before they are imported into your CAT tool, to get 100% matches from your translation memories (you can even apply straight quotation marks and apostrophes to the entire document if the previous version of the document used straight symbols).
The tool is very easy to use. Typically, it will not take you longer than a minute to correct a standard document. The tool automatically finds all occurrences of incorrect symbols and allows you to choose which ones need to be corrected. You can also choose a different correction symbol in some borderline cases.
For more information about Quotation Magic, you can read about it here.
I hope you have found this information useful. See you in future newsletters. Don't forget to subscribe to TransTools on Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, LinkedIn or Scoop.it.
March 20, 2016