TransTools for Microsoft Excel
TransTools for Excel is a special add-in for Microsoft Excel. It contains a host of useful commands for all sorts of translation tasks, from editing spreadsheets to make them suitable for translation, to automating translation and, finally, to proof-reading. Enjoy!
||Note: All commands (except Translate Using Translation Table) are fully undoable. However, due to restrictions of Microsoft Excel, only the most recent action (i.e. the TransTools command you are running) can be undone – all previous actions will be forgotten. Please bear this in mind when using TransTools for Microsoft Excel.
- Glossary Search: a powerful tool for searching glossaries, turning your Excel glossaries into powerful terminology databases.
- Prepare documents for translation: If you have ever translated a badly formatted Excel spreadsheet (either manually or with CAT software), you probably know how frustrating it may be. TransTools comes to the rescue. Use Merge Cell Contents and Remove Spaces to format the documents before translation.
- Format spreadsheets after translation: after you translate a spreadsheet, you've got to make sure that the text in all cells is fully visible. Using Cell Resize Wizard, you can resize cells interactively, highlight all cells that require resizing, or resize all cells automatically.
- Language Check: proof-read worksheets faster by locating text that may have been overlooked and not translated. Great time-saver.
- Make a number of replacements at once: create translation tables and translate worksheets using them. Excellent for common documents such as automatically generated reports, etc.
- Remove duplicates: find and remove duplicates from your glossaries.
How does it work?
Once installed, TransTools for Excel adds new items to Microsoft Excel menus:
Excel 2007 and newer versions: TransTools tab as shown below.
Excel 2003 and older versions: TransTools menu item at the top of the application window as shown below.
You can run any command by choosing it from TransTools menus as shown above. In Microsoft Excel 2007 or later you can right-click any command in TransTools tab and choose 'Add to Quick Access Toolbar' to make it easily accessible.
Click any command in the screenshots above to get more information.
Suggestions for improving TransTools
Please send your feedback on how to improve the existing features and your suggestions for new functionality – for the benefit of the translation community worldwide. Improve TransTools here.